Notice

THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
Many apologies and thanks to those who have contributed in some way


Tuesday 22 July 2008

Internet Fatwahs are Fitnah

I went to a friend’s salon recently to trim my hair. As I was getting my hair done, two sisters walked in (roughly around my age). One of them was getting married and wanted to book an appointment to get her hair and make-up done for the wedding. So my friend said ok and asked her what style she wanted for her hair. She said she wanted an up-do style but needs to put extensions in her hair because her hair was short and that she wanted her eyebrows to be trimmed and so on. My friend didn’t judge her and perhaps thought maybe she didn’t know having extensions put in and trimming the eyebrows were haraam so she just explained it to them. Her reaction? ‘Nuh uhh, Shaykh so-and-so on the internet said it’s not haraam’. Then she started hitting us with fatwas from left to right about what this so-called ‘Shaykh’ said (I can’t even remember his name, doesn’t matter, I just refer to them as Shaykh Google anyways).

My friend apologised and told her she already consulted a Scholar on these issues and they told her it was not permissible for her to do them and if they wanted she would be more than happy to bring them proof that it’s not allowed, if not they could always go to another salon. Obviously they weren’t very happy and said they also had proof that it was permissible. One of the other hairdressers intervened and started to quote some hadiths relating to the issue. But they still wouldn’t have it. One of them went as far as to say (and I quote) ‘It’s only one night anyways, it’s my BIG DAY, I want to look pretty and make it special. I can always say Istighfaar afterwards.’ SubhanAllah! I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Tears started to flow, I couldn’t even help it. What if this sister died on her wedding day and never got the chance to repent? What would she say in front of Allah? I think death was the last thing on her mind, wallahu ‘alam.

Anyways, I don’t want to go on about what happened that day or judge those sisters, that’s not the purpose of this post. What I wanna talk about is a little about internet fatwahs. It's amazing how....in these days people mostly use internet fatwahs for everything. Is something halal? "I dunno...let me ask "sh. google ibn yahoo" but what we don’t realise is these can be specific to a situation that has NOTHING to do with us.

Some people, once they gain a bit of knowledge in the deen or a specific topic, they think they’ve become scholars and can give fatwahs. I’ve seen it so many times; even my teacher told me some stories of people who have little knowledge of the deen giving fatwahs. He was telling us how it seems everyone’s become a scholar these days, hence why we have so many ‘shaykh googles’ giving internet fatawah and so many people doing ‘fatwah shopping’ (i.e., searching the net until you find a shaykh that agrees with your opinion; just like these two sisters who found a shaykh who said it was permissible to trim the eyebrows and put in extensions).

We were studying the history of the scholars of the past and found that the early imams were so cautious about speaking about [the lawful and unlawful] because one who speaks about such matters is relating information from Allah, enunciating His commandments and prohibitions, and passing on His sacred law. It was said about Ibn Sirin, "If he was asked about something regarding the lawful or the unlawful, his colour would change. He would be transformed until he no longer seemed the same person." Ata' ibn al-Saib said, "I met people who, when asked for a religious verdict, would tremble as they spoke." SubhanAllah

Imam Ahmad was extremely hesitant to speak on the lawful and unlawful, to claim that something was abrogated, or related matters which others would too readily expound. He frequently prefaced his answers with phrases such as, "I hope that..," "I fear..," or "It is more beloved to me..." He would often say on an issue with which righteous forbears had various opinions, "The most likely answer is, 'I do not know.' Similarly, Imam Malik and others would frequently say, "I do not know." It is related that when Imam Malik was asked about a legal matter, it was as if he were suspended between Heaven and Hell.

Compare this to the so-called ‘Internet Scholars’ of today. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that all the Shuyukh who give fatawah online are causing fitnah. In fact, there are many Islamic websites that have well-known scholars who give authentic fatawah based on the Quran and Sunnah. All I’m saying is we should be careful where we seek to get our fatwahs. The internet has opened a door where by EVERY SINGLE opinion in the world, and its mother, has a website. So if someone says, ‘I found this on the internet supporting my opinion’, who cares? It’s not rocket science. The concept of ‘fatwah shopping’ in Islam is not permissible.

May Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala forgive us and protect us from falling into haraam. May He help us in gaining more knowledge of the Deen and help us to follow the footsteps of our Beloved Prophet Muhammad salallahu ‘alayhi wassallam, Ameen.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Assalamu Alaykum,

here are some great websites for authentic, strong fatawah from Ulema e Haqq.

www.muftisays.com
www.daruliftaa.com
www.sunnipath.com
www.askimam.org

Wassalam

Anonymous said...

Jazakallah for those websites, Very helpful indeed.

Anonymous said...

Brothers and sisters I was just checkin the above 4 websites alhamdudillah they were all according to the sunnah of the prophet (saw) and in line with the shariah. However, there are a few I would like to inform you to be weary about and to avoid going on...

1) www.submission.org (completley messed up. Avoid altogether)

2)salafitalk.net

3)www.islam-qa.com (Mustve made a mistake in your post)

4)www.salafipublications.com

5)Troid.org

6)allaahuakbar.net (Contains misinterpreted information)

7) www.duas.org (avoid this is website even though the name looks appealing)

Jazakallah for your time and stay safe on the internet! :D

Amatullah said...

Assalamu Alaykum,

JazakAllah to the both of you for providing us with authentic sites and warning us from the ones we should stay away from. I apologise for my mistake in including IslamQA in my post as an authentic site. I myself dont use that site but have heard it was authentic and very popular. But I've done a bit of research and I think its best if people avoid that site too, Allah knows best.

I think the best advice I can give to everyone is what my teacher told me, 'If you can, avoid internet fatawah altogether as they can be misleading. Learn the deen and only take the advice of the 'Ulamaa; go directly to the source, wherever and whenever possible.'

And Allah Ta'ala knows best

Anonymous said...

oh my days i always thought islam-qa.com was authentic as well. subhanallah this post has opened my eyes. i never knew such stuff existed. lol got 2 say i love the 'shaykh google ibn yahoo' bit. keep doin wat ur doin and may Allah reward all of you guys for your hard work. salaams xx


Saheeh al-Bukhari