Notice

THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
Many apologies and thanks to those who have contributed in some way


Tuesday 27 May 2008

Has Faith turned into Fashion?

There’s a growing culture in the West that is strictly based on appearance. You have to look your best. You must leave the house looking like something that has come out of a commercial advert (although it doesn’t always work out that way). It seems my beautiful Muslim Sisters have also adapted these values. Although there is an increase in Hijabi girls, there is also an increase in these hijabi girls wearing the tightest clothes possible to show off their ‘assets’. That is the only way I can word it. Tight jeans are worn so that the view from behind is clear for everyone to see. Tight skirts are worn with short tops, again, so that everything is on display. The only thing that is hidden is the hair with a short scarf which is often accompanied with full make-up. Are they trying to make up for what they have hidden (the hair)?

Before, it used to bother me to see sisters making fun of the Hijab and not taking it seriously. Yesterday while I went out to eat I looked quite odd with my jilbab, niqab, cardigan and long hijab. To them, I probably looked like a ‘fundamentalist’ because I wasn’t following the ‘in-crowd’. But I didn’t care. I walked in confidently, sat down, ate and left. I have stopped judging others who ridicule the Hijab, only because it gave me a headache and heartache. Sometimes, I just think, you know what? Everyone is entitled to live the way they want to live, let’s not judge each other. But sorry, when it comes to a religious symbol - the hijab - I think we should take care not to associate it with tight clothes so much so that the hijabies look more attractive and sexier than the non-hijabies. I have heard many conversations from non-hijabies criticising this and not understanding the need for the hijab if they are going to all that trouble to demean the meaning of the veil.

Now there is the fashion where you wrap the hijab behind your neck, so that your chest and front bit of the neck and chin are showing. They leave a bit of the ears showing so that earrings are on display. Then in a conversation with one of them they say ‘Yes, I’m so proud to be a mohajaba (a hijabi)’. I disagree. There are two categories for someone wearing the veil. One is the mohajaba who is covered with loose clothing with her hijab. Secondly there is the mohtasheema, the one who is wearing a veil but wearing tight clothes, so she isn’t a mohajaba yet, but one step away from being one. I think it’s better to have these categories so our young children don’t get confused as to what is the right type of hijab.

What’s sad is that before these new hijab styles came up, young men would actually respect you instantly because you wore the hijab (well that’s what I got). Now they don’t take us seriously and label us along with the girls who wear tight clothes, hold their ‘boyfriends’ hands, etc.

They have, indeed, spoilt it for those of us who are taking it seriously. I think there is a lot of identity confusion among the youth, they want to cover their hair to obey Allah’s commands but they also want to be available on the ‘attractive market’ so they can find a suitable boyfriend or husband-to-be. Maybe we should just let them be? As long as they have faith in their heart then that’s all that matters, right? We shouldn’t judge people from their appearance? We should just try to improve ourselves before looking at others? Maybe the most important thing is for us to be at peace with ourselves and leave the rest to do what they want to do?

I’m sorry if I have caused anyone to feel offended by this post. This was not my intention. I love all my sisters for the Sake of Allah. I am merely reminding us all (myself included) that we represent Islam to the wider world once we put on the hijab and we should take great care as to not resemble the non-Muslims.

In the Qur’aan, Allah says:


*{And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands’ fathers, their sons...}* (An-Nur 24:31)


Therefore, from the verse, it becomes evident that the purpose of hijab is to cover. Although from one point of view the girls in jeans and a head-covering may be “covered”, the Prophet (peace and blessing be upon him) once mentioned that there are women who are ‘kasiyat `ariyat’, meaning they are both ‘covered and naked at the same time’. This refers to those who wear clothes that are too tight or short or transparent and therefore reveal their bodies, thereby completely missing the point of hijab.


This verse is a clear order, and not something just based on cultural norms of the time. Muslim men are told in the preceding verse to lower their gaze and guard their modesty, and women are told in this verse to lower their gaze, guard their modesty, and cover themselves. If you don’t think that women’s hair is part of their adornment, then tell me why there are so many shampoos, creams, and conditioners on the market, and why there are so many beauty salons?

A tradition of Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing be upon him) tells us:


Two are the types amongst the dwellers of Hell, the one possessing whips like the tail of an ox and they flog people with their help. (The second one) the women who would be naked in spite of their being dressed, who are seduced (to wrong paths) and seduce others with their hair high like humps. These women would not get into Paradise and they would not perceive the odour of Paradise, although its fragrance can be perceived from such and such distance (from great distance). (Saheeh Muslim, Book 040, #6840)


Therefore, since the Noble Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) warned these women who do not wear hijab that they will not enter Paradise, this means that it is a major sin. This may seem extreme, but a women who is well-covered and simply dressed does not hold the same level of attraction as a women who will use her characteristics to attract men or to take advantage of the weaknesses of men. What more severe warning is there than to warn them of hell fire?


Sisters, I would just like to remind myself first, before any of you, that we only have one life to live. Let’s use it to please our Creator instead of pleasing our own desires and those of the creation. Anywho, I think I’ve hit another record for writing a long post so I’ll end it here insha’Allah. Again, please forgive me if I may have said anything to hurt anyone's feelings.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

salaam,
jzakallah sister for bringing this issue, forward i agree with what you have said.
The hijab is not a responsibility, it's a right given to us by our Creator who knows us best. It's a benefit to us, It's something every woman should strive to get and should want.

Surah 24 Verse 31
O Prophet! Tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad): that is most convenient, that they should be known (as such) and not molested. And God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
Surah 33 Verse 59

Amatullah said...

Assalamu 'Alaykum.

JazakAllah for your comment, you actually reminded me of something I wanted to add. I'll edit it later on insha'Allah.

Wassalamu 'Alaykum.

Abu Ubaidah said...

Assalaamu Alaykum,

I hope you dont mind me asking but is this article your own work? Because I'm sure I've seen it on another website. If it isn't your work please put the link or reference for where you got the article from. Jazakallah.

Wassalamu Alaykum

Anonymous said...

Assalamu 3laykum sister,

MashAllah sister brilliant post. I'm glad someone finally said it so simply and straight to the point, Al7amdulillah. I wanted to ask you if it's okay if I forward this to some sisters I know? I think it could be very beneficial inshAllah, but I wanted your permission first.

May Allah(SWT) reward you for taking time out to post this and help us and all the muslim sisters to act upon what has been said, inshAllah Ameen.

Jazakillahu Khayrun

Wassalamu 3laykum WaRa7matullahi WaBarakatuh

Amatullah said...

Assalamu ‘Alaykum,

I received this article from a sister in an email so I thought I’d share it with other sisters. I changed it a bit as it was talking about sisters in Egypt and included the end part based on a fatwa about hijab. I did not realise it was taken from another website so I apologise for not providing a link. If you remember where you read it from brother, then you have permission to include the link. If not, then I will ask the sister if she has the link of where she got it from.

For the sister that asked if she could forward the article then the answer is yes insha’Allah as I only posted to help benefit others.

Anonymous said...

Assalaamu 'Alaykum sister.

Jazakallah for sharing this post. =)

I would just like to say that the person who wrote this article is right about not judging people by their appearance. We may not know it, but the nonhijabis may have more imaan than the hijabis. Allah (SWT) judges us based on our intentions, so instead of criticizing those girls who don't wear the hijab, we should help them understand the beauty of the Hijab. And insha'Allah, this post will help those that read it. =)

May Allah (SWT) grant us all the ability to please Him with our actions as well as our thoughts. Ameen.


Saheeh al-Bukhari